Wangaratta

Share this!

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TechnoratiSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

The regional city of Wangaratta is centrally located in the north-east of Victoria between Benalla and Wodonga on the main route from Melbourne to Sydney. Wangaratta features a large commercial center, primarily based along the attractive thoroughfare of Murphy Street and extending into adjacent Reid Street. Wangaratta's cultural precinct is located along Ford Street and Ovens Street and includes notable landmarks such as the towering Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral (built between 1908 and 1909), St Patricks Church (construction commenced in 1865), the Exhibitions Gallery (1898), and the Playhouse Theater with its display of sculptured figurines on the front lawn. Wangaratta boasts a number of attractive parks and gardens within the town center. Enjoy walks along the Ovens River and through the delightful Apex Park, spend time in the central English-style King George V Gardens, or retreat to the tranquil sunken gardens of Merriwa Park which are surrounded by waterways and feature a lagoon, fernery and bush walking paths. For a swim, visit Sydney Beach which is accessible from the eastern end of Ovens Street, and is situated at a sandy bend near a weir on the Ovens River. Wangaratta is situated within an easy drive of major attractions in the area including the vast number of wineries around Rutherglen and the gourmet food and wine region around Milawa, Oxley and Tarrawingee. Wangaratta is at the northern end-point of the Great Alpine Road which traverses the Great Dividing Range and passes through the all year round holiday town of Bright, the alpine resort of Mount Hotham, the remote Snowy Mountains town of Omeo, and finally ending up at the large East Gippsland regional city of Bairnsdale, over 300 kilometres away. Yackandandah is a former gold mining town located in the north-east of Victoria, between Beechworth and Wodonga. Yackandandah's entire commercial center  has been classified by the National Trust and features well preserved buildings which date back to the mid and late 1800s during the height of the town's gold mining days. The local museum which houses the district's historical society is in the old Bank of Victoria building (built in 1860), while tourist information is available from the old Athenaeum (1878) which is located on High Street. Deciduous trees line many of the town's streets, particularly colourful during Autumn. A interesting drive can be enjoyed along Bells Flat Road. At Crossing Place, a walking track leads to "The Gorge" which is a man-made diversion of Yackandandah Creek that allowed miners to search for gold along the original creek bed. Bells Flat Road also passes through old gold mining areas featuring shafts and diggings. A short drive north-east of Yackandandah is the small community of Allans Flat, located in a rich agricultural area which is home to wineries and a strawberry farm. At the Allans Flat Reserve is a large lake which was originally created by gold dredging and is now a scenic spot for swimming and boating. The scenic township of Yea is situated between Seymour and Alexandra in a rich pastoral and dairying district.

* Note: Room prices change constantly. You should check the latest availability as in many cases the room price can be even lower than the listed price on the LastBeds website.