Orbost is situated in the far east of Victoria between the tiny communities of Nowa Nowa and Cabbage Tree Creek. The area around Orbost was first settled in 1842 and originally used for cattle grazing. A township began to develop in the 1870s and it eventually became an important service centre for what has developed into a major cattle and agricultural district. The surrounding mountain forests produce hardwood timber, most of which is milled locally. Orbost is situated on the Snowy River, surrounded by its rich river flats. Its commercial centre is along Nicholson Street and includes two supermarkets, a selection of shops and a few hotels. At the northern end of the commercial centre, at the Salisbury Street roundabout, is a memorial clocktower. As Nicholson Street heads northwards, it breaks out into a wide boulevard with lawns and trees along its central strip. Forest Park is an attractive reserve in Orbost, wedged between Nicholson Street and the Snowy River. It features a slab hut which was built in 1872 and relocated to its present site. The hut is open to the public and furnished as a period settler's home. Other attractions in Forest Park include the Orbost Exhibition Centre and gallery, as well as a number of rainforest walks which begin in the park. Good views of Orbost, the Snowy River and the bridges across its flood plain can be enjoyed from Grandview Lookout, located south-west of Orbost in the small community of Newmerella. 14 kilometres downstream along the Snowy River near its mouth is the small coastal community of Marlo. Paynesville is located 17 kilometres south of Bairnsdale within the Gippsland Lakes system and with direct access to both Lake King and Lake Victoria. Paynesville is a popular boating location, effectively surrounded on three sides by water. There are extensive lawns, stretches of sand, boat ramps and a pier along the southern shoreline. The eastern shoreline along McMillans Strait also includes lawn areas but is more geared towards boating with several marinas, jetties and Fishermans Wharf with its waterfront cafe and restaurant. Paynesville's commercial center is located on the inland side of The Esplanade, thus it overlooks the beautiful waterways and foreshore just across the road. St Peters Anglican Church is located in an elevated position on Sunset Drive, overlooks the surrounding lake. It has been architecturally designed to resemble a ship and was built from Gippsland limestone bricks in 1961. 200 metres off the coast of Paynesville and linked to the town by a vehicular ferry is Raymond Island. The island has a small residential population which co-exists with many native birds and animals, offering ideal bushwalking opportunities. Just north of Paynesville, at Eagle Point, the Mitchell River enters Lake King. Bluff Lookout provides good views over the lake, river and surrounding countryside. At the mouth of the Mitchell River there are two 8 kilometre long and narrow peninsulas of land known as the Silt Jetties which stretch out into the lake.
* Note: Room prices change constantly. You should check the latest availability as in many cases the room price can be even lower than the listed price on the LastBeds website.